Take the 2-minute tour ×
Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can I use Ubuntu to defrag a Windows NTFS/FAT drive or partition?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Yes, you can use shake. You'll first need to add a custom repository to your system:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:un-brice/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install shake-fs

Then you can do

sudo shake /some/dir
share|improve this answer
Don't you have to first install it by sudo apt-get install shake-fs? –  Alaa Ali Sep 10 '13 at 20:26
@Alaa You're right, I'll edit the answer. Thanks. –  alexg Sep 11 '13 at 8:25
Thank you very much :) –  Levan Sep 11 '13 at 23:57

No. These are Windows filesystems so you will need to use Windows to defrag them.

share|improve this answer
Ok thank you :) –  Levan Nov 6 '12 at 1:12

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.