Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a notebook with no dedicated (working) keys for volume, so I've set under the Shortcuts Settings to use Win+Up/Down to change volume. That's working fine and I get that nice popup showing the volume level when I press this shortcut.

But I've bought a keyboard with dedicated keys, and I want to be able to use BOTH. Thus, I would need to copy the initial shortcut... But I have no idea of what command the original shortcut fires. I've tried amixer command: it works, but there's no visual cue of the volume level.

share|improve this question
what should i look for? this post is quite meaningless for me, and additionally, hald outputs "command not found" here – igorsantos07 Nov 6 '12 at 2:27
I'm very confused by your comment, @Igoru. Which post do you mean by "this post"? If you have something to add to your question, you can edit it. – Flimm Nov 12 '12 at 14:37
forget about it. a random user added a comment saying "hey, look at this post that has a solution", and I replied that. After all, the guy removed his comment and my comment got meaningless. – igorsantos07 Nov 12 '12 at 20:21
I had a very similar issue, which I solved myself and decided to post in case it helped anyone else, so if you're using KDE you can try this: The first solution displays a volume level popup like you want, I'm sure there's a gnome equivalent. – Benubird Feb 17 '14 at 12:51
possible duplicate of Need help with mapping my keyboard – krishna kaanthh May 25 '14 at 20:25

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.