I can Install most windows games but I can't install star wars battlefront on my Ubuntu 12.10 laptop computer.
Star Wars Battlefront 1 can sometimes work on
Nevertheless, so we can get an answer for this question, here's how I installed it on Ubuntu 12.04, which was largely a similar process to that very briefly mentioned on the information page at WineHQ.
I usually recommend using a fresh WINEPREFIX for every new application installed with
1) Locate your legal copy of the game and its 3 cds (you will need the CD key as well) and place the first disk in the drive and make sure it mounts correctly.
2) Create your new WINEPREFIX with:
This will make the wine configuration window come up, and before you dismiss it, check the drive letter that the battlefront CD has been symlinked to (usually D:).
2) Start the install (assuming the
(You can of course
3) Enter the CD key and let the installer begin. When you swap disks, wait for the next disk to mount before you click continue. When you get the confirmation screen that it has installed, do not launch it yet.
4) Download the official Lucasarts patch and install it:
The drive letter referring to the local filesystem should be
5) Now, if you try to run the program it will hang or give you an error about securom, as
Disclaimer: For legal reasons, I cannot provide any download links for patched executables.
6) After all that is sorted out you may want to tweak some graphic settings with
It is tricky to specify what settings to alter, but often those to do with pixel shading and multisampling need to be off, but you may need to tweak other ones and experiment a little.
7) Finally, run the game with:
You must always run it from the Gamedata folder and never with the launcher.
It is difficult to say how well it will run on other systems, and often there are regressions in