My current hard drive is just about full and rather than just toss it and get a new one (since it works fine), I want to get a new drive and set them both up using lvm. While I'm at it, I also want to get an SSD to install the OS and applications on. This is my plan:
- Put / on the SSD (one partition)
- Put /tmp on a ram disk
- Put /var on a partition on my new drive
- Put /home on the rest of the new drive and my current drive using lvm.
My goals are:
- Speed up boot time and application launch
- Minimize unnecessary writes to the SSD
- Never have to worry about which disk/partition to store my files on. I want the OS & lvm to take care of that
Does this make sense? I'm fairly experienced with Ubuntu but I've never dealt with lvm before.