I just installed installed 12.10, and suspend is not working. Here are more details:
- When I select suspend from the power menu, the screen goes black (with the monitor still running), but the computer is still running. Num Lock works, but Caps Lock doesn't work [*]. The computer never enters suspend mode, but I can't get the monitor to respond either. The only way I can get out of this situation is to shut down the machine by holding the power button.
- When I forcefully reboot it, I get the message "Ubuntu 12.10 has encountered an internal error". Apparently something is wrong with apportcheckresume.
- I googled a bit and found this launchpad bug report. I installed the amd64 kernel from here; on this new kernel suspend works. But there are no drivers, so it's not a solution.
So, the question is:
- How do I fix suspend on the current kernel (3.5.0-17-generic); OR
- How do I install drivers on the mainline kernel?
A solution to either will solve the problem.
[*] How to debug suspend? seem to suggest this is a kernel hang?