My update manager does not give me the option to upgrade to Ubuntu 12.10. That is, the "New distribution release '12.10' is available. Click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions" section is not shown.
I had the same problem upgrading to 12.04. Spent hours trying to upgrade the system, got lucky somehow, don’t definitively know how.
What I have done,
- used Synaptic to clear package cache.
- reloaded package list and upgraded all packages.
- checked that ubuntu-standard and ubuntu-desktop packages are
- checked that the "notify me of new version" setting in update-manager is set to "all new versions"
- update manager reports there are "no new updates"
sudo do-release-upgrade -dreports no release available
update-manager -ddoes not help.
cat /etc/lsb-releaseoutput is:
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04 DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS