I'm currently running Ubuntu 12.04 (sort of) on my x86 desktop system.
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.10 DISTRIB_CODENAME=quantal DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu quantal (development branch)"
probably because I installed a beta release of 12.04 shortly before the official one came out.)
I'd like to upgrade to the new 12.10 (non-beta) release. The usual way to do this is to use the update manager -- but when I run
update-manager or any
apt-* command (at least the ones I've tried), it dies with a segmentation fault. Here's what gdb has to say when I try to run
$ apt-cache --version apt 0.8.16~exp12ubuntu10.3 for i386 compiled on Aug 20 2012 22:34:48 $ gdb apt-cache [...] (gdb) run search git Starting program: /usr/bin/apt-cache search git Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault. 0xb7ee16ce in pkgCache::VerIterator::TranslatedDescription() const () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libapt-pkg.so.4.12 (gdb) where #0 0xb7ee16ce in pkgCache::VerIterator::TranslatedDescription() const () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libapt-pkg.so.4.12 #1 0x08051bd1 in ?? () #2 0xb7eccf6e in CommandLine::DispatchArg(CommandLine::Dispatch*, bool) () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libapt-pkg.so.4.12 #3 0x0804e833 in ?? () #4 0xb7c044d3 in __libc_start_main (main=0x804e520, argc=3, ubp_av=0xbffff964, init=0x805bdf0, fini=0x805be60, rtld_fini=0xb7fed270 <_dl_fini>, stack_end=0xbffff95c) at libc-start.c:226 #5 0x0804e8f1 in ?? () (gdb)
dpkg command doesn't have this problem.
I've tried reinstalling
libapt-pkg4.12 (the package that provides
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libapt-pkg.so.4.12), and it didn't help.
My goal is to upgrade to 12.10 (not beta) and have
update-manager and the
apt-* commands working properly.
Can I update my existing system from a DVD or USB thumb drive (I'm downloading
ubuntu-12.10-desktop-i386.iso right now) without wiping out my existing files?
If not, can I reinstall or repair my
apt packages and get
update-manager working again?
If not, I suppose my remaining option is to install 12.10 from scratch and then restore my files from a backup -- which I'll do if I have to, but I'd rather leave my files in place. (I have a backup anyway in case something goes wrong during a normal upgrade.)
A Google search for the error message (which I should have done before) led me to bug #970988, which refers to a crash in the same
TranslatedDescription() routine. It's closed as a duplicate of bug #938116. It's supposedly fixed by update-manager 1:0.156.12 -- but I already have update-manager 1:0.156.14.9, and I'm still getting the crash. I don't see anything in either bug report that suggests a way to fix the problem on my system (other than reinstalling).
One of the bug reports mentions that somebody encountered the bug after installing Skype, and fixed it by uninstalling Skype. I happen to have installed Skype around the time this problem showed up, but uninstalling it hasn't helped.