Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I know that this question is already asked here, but I did not find any free IDE like dreamweaver which have facility to view design mode with PHP+HTML code.

I am previously worked on windows machine and used dreamweave, now I moved to ubuntu 11.10 and I need IDE like dreamweaver. Currently I have used Geany and Eclipse but none of them has facility of design mode. Is there any add-on available for Geany or Eclipse then please give it link to me.

I am new to ubuntu so, did not have much knowledge of it and because of it I am here for answer.

Thanks in advance.


share|improve this question
No any expert advice? – pkachhia Oct 20 '12 at 9:16

Edit 2: From the stuff I just read through, maybe CKEditor is your best bet at the moment; It is available under the GPL as well as a commercial license, written in javascript -- there are special versions to integrate it as editor/ide in drupal joomla and java-webapplications.

Edit: I did dig a bit deeper; KompoZer and it's ancestor Nvu are rather old; (One of) The author(s) has a new project: bluegriffon -- but I don't know if it supports php.

Maybe KompoZer is to your liking:; there is a PPA:

It uses gecko to render.

I never used it, so I can't endorse it; i just found it -- and it's free and open source.

share|improve this answer
Finally I got the reply, I have checked it and inform you. – pkachhia Oct 20 '12 at 10:07
To set Kompozer up to handle php-files (at least locally), you apparently need an addon named HandCoder; maybe this post here:… helps you to get there – Tom Regner Oct 20 '12 at 10:43
+1 for your kind help, thank you – pkachhia Oct 20 '12 at 10:50

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.