Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I cannot find a place like control panel in Windows where I can configure Ubuntu. I would be delighted to find where to configure the system. And by the way, how to use the configure Ubuntu according to my own appetite?

share|improve this question
3 minutes to ask another question? Try searching for a "beginner's guide" – Evandro Silva Oct 5 '12 at 20:03

From Unity Dash you can search System Setting.

enter image description here

System Setting

enter image description here

Advance Setting / Gnome Tweak Tool / Tweak Tool

enter image description here


sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool

Ubuntu Tweak

enter image description here


sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa 
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak -y
share|improve this answer
Very good screenshots. – hexafraction Oct 5 '12 at 19:52
Its a lil bit blur, using shutter. Will upload another image soon ;) – penreturns Oct 5 '12 at 19:53
I'd also add Unity-tweak and Gnome-tweak, if applicable. – hexafraction Oct 5 '12 at 19:55
@penreturn oops! I didn't notice your answer. – devav2 Oct 5 '12 at 20:00
its okey @devav2 ;) – penreturns Oct 5 '12 at 20:05

Use System settings to tweak Ubuntu settings.

To open System settings

Open dash and search for "System Settings" enter image description here


open terminal( Ctrl+Alt+T ) and type gnome-control-center

enter image description here

This will help you to configure your Ubuntu

share|improve this answer

Click the gear-cog icon in the top right of your screen, and click "System Settings", here you will find a control-panel equivalent, as in Windows. Here is a link describing each setting:

I hope this helps

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.