Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What's the official name for that area on the top of the screen, similar to the Mac Menu Bar, where you see icons representing running apps?

share|improve this question
up vote 11 down vote accepted

The bars at the top and bottom are the panels. Within these I've annotated a screenshot to give you some idea of the different components.


share|improve this answer
This is really useful. – ændrük Dec 28 '10 at 21:37

I think you are talking about panel.The area where you can see applets and icons are said to be gnome-panel.

alt text

share|improve this answer

It is called gnome-panel as karthick said. There is also an area in the panel called "notification area" where some running application icon can be found like if Rhythmbox is running.

share|improve this answer

Its a PANEL. And you might have asked about the Notification Area applet of the top panel. Or maybe the Indicator applet

Righ-click on some of its icons: if they all have the same options "About", "Remove from Panel", "Move" and "Lock" (or "Unlock"), its the Indicator Applet

If each icon has its own options, its the Notification Area

And Ive said "a" panel and not "the" panel, because in Ubuntu/Gnome you can have several panels. Each panel have several applets.

Ubuntu (Desktop) comes with 2 panels: one at the top, and one at the bottom.

The top one has, by thefault, these applets:

  • The Gnome/Ubuntu main menu - Menu, Places and System
  • Some default launchers (like Firefox and Help).
  • The Notification Area, that shows icons of some running apps (like Skype)
  • The Indicator Applet, that also shows icons, not of apps, but more like system indications, like wi-fi, battery, volume, etc
  • The Clock
  • The User Menu (Login, Logoff, Switch User, Shutdown, etc)

The bottom one, for reference, has

  • The "Show Desktop" icon
  • The Window List, that shows the windows of running apps

When you ask about "running apps", you could be asking about the Notification Area, the Indicator Applet, or the Window List. All of them are, in a way, "icons of running apps".

share|improve this answer

In Gnome "notification area"; generally (from KDE) "system tray" (shortly "systray").

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.