I have a Gateway all in one machine (2 gig Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 dual core processor, 2 gig RAM - full specs) on which I installed 10.10. Once it has booted it's fine, but it takes forever to boot.
This is what happens:
1. Boot starts with cursor flashing for about 10-15 seconds
2. Cursor disappears for 1.5 - 2 minutes
3. Cursor reappears, blinks a few seconds more, boot finishes in another 10 seconds
4. Login screen
I have another machine with marginal better specs that boots up in no time (basically the above minus the two minute delay).
Things I've done:
- enabled verbose mode for grub >> nothing is showing until after 2 minute pause.
- checked syslog >> last message before pause is a message from alsa saying the process is already running (or something similar... going from memory here...)
It could be something sound related as the built in speakers are not working (sound card is recognized though and headphones work).
Anyway, it's not the end of the world, but it's annoying and I'd like to know what's going on... Many thanks, and let me know if more info is needed.
No matter what I tried I could not get into safe mode... Shift didn't work and Esc didn't work. I did boot into recovery mode using startupmanager which didn't make a difference.
I installed Bootchart per Maxime, and according to bootchart it takes about 20s to boot up, which is pretty much the time from the moment the cursor reappears to the time the login screen shows up...