Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have about 20 files of music in the format .aa3. Which Linux-compatible program reads that format?

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

First enable restricted, multiverse and partner repository. Click here to see a bunch of helpful questions about how to do this. By default restricted repository is enabled.

Open a terminal and execute this command to install necessary codecs to play .aa3 format files.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3 

Then you can open and play files with standard player. Such as Rhythmbox or totem.

OP says the method doesn't work.

If this method doesn't work, I guess the files are DRM protected. In simple words, DRM protection is used to prevent piracy of Digital contents (there are other usages also) such as Music, Videos etc. You need a key to decrypt or read the digital content which is only supplied to you by the Vendor.

Check these Links to know more about DRM protection:

share|improve this answer
Please take note that, If your files are DRM protected, you may have some problem playing them – Anwar Shah Sep 9 '12 at 2:42
it gives an error saying: Unable to locate package gstreame10-plugins-ugly – Nick Bailuc Sep 9 '12 at 3:04
@NickyBailuc see my updated answer. You have to first enable repositories and unfortunately there was an typo in code. Now fixed. thanks – Anwar Shah Sep 9 '12 at 5:30
"nul - Couldn't start playback" gives an error – Nick Bailuc Sep 9 '12 at 15:09
How did you try to paly. Try with Totem player – Anwar Shah Sep 9 '12 at 15:13

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.