I'm a beginner who just set up a dual boot with Win7 home and Ubuntu 12.04LTS. As seen in many tutorial videos and as Ubuntu suggested I tried to install the proprietary drivers.
my specs: dell vostro 3550
- cpu - i5 2410M @ 2.30GHz x4
- gpu - sandy bridge mobile (+ Radeon HD 6630M)
- ram - 3,8Gb
- Ubuntu 64bit 12.04LTS (win7 Home Prem. 64bit)
-> It detects a ATI/AMD driver and an additional driver update.
after installing the first driver Unity is not working correctly it is probably Unity2D ...
can't install the prorietary driver-addition to get it working flawless
the amd catalyst control center won't work since it doesn't detect a properly installed graphics driver
so far I've tried to install
- solely the first proprietary driver however the catalyst control center wouldn't work
- the update for the proprietary driver but somehow failed and after a reboot it showed me none of both drivers is running (no green point).
- I've tried the driver from amd's website ( http://support.amd.com/de/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx | http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx)
... after all I couldn't manage to get any driver working
help please ... it's much appreciated because at the moment the graphics card seems to be running all the time consuming much energy
2012-10-03 19:24:57,214 WARNING: /sys/module/fglrx_updates/drivers does not exist, cannot rebind fglrx_updates driver
2012-10-03 19:25:14,448 DEBUG: fglrx.enabled(fglrx_updates): target_alt None current_alt /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf other target alt None other current alt /usr/lib/fglrx/alt_ld.so.conf 2012-10-03 19:25:14,448 DEBUG: fglrx_updates is not the alternative in use
2012-10-03 19:25:14,480 DEBUG: fglrx.enabled(fglrx_updates): target_alt None current_alt /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf other target alt None other current alt /usr/lib/fglrx/alt_ld.so.conf
2012-10-03 19:25:14,480 DEBUG: fglrx_updates is not the alternative in use
getting this jockey.log once I try to install the additional driver!
tried to install the additional driver because unity2D (the message confirmed my estimation) crashed due to some driver thing afaik
commencing to lose confidence this post will help me and my problem will be fixed - :(
another try to install the above mentioned drivers from AMD's website led the system to boot into low graphics mode. I could remove it because the catch still included these commands to remove the drivers http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Natty_Installation_Guide#Removing_Catalyst.2Ffglrx