I have an old computer with Ubuntu 7.10, I can't update it to a newer version because of legacy issues, and it recently gives me an error when logging into gnome:
- A window shows up in the center telling me the initialization failed, and that I should check the
- After clicking on that window, the gnome top and bottom bars start to appear, but the image blinks a couple of times, and then locks up hard (no keyboard or mouse).
- I checked the file and got an error saying gtk+ couldn't be initialised.
- I also did a reboot with fsck check, but the same error keeps popping up.
- The system seems to be working if I log into console mode, although when trying to rsync some data, I got a kernel panic:
Any ideas what might be going on?