I'm trying to configure all the hardware and make sure that everything is working on an Asus N56VM-S4060x. I've made some progress based on other answers, but there are still a number of things that aren't working.
From a fresh install I have done the following,
- Installed kernel 3.5 (following these instructions, based on this answer
- Installed asus-wmi (not sure if this is necessary though)
- Installed asus-wmi V999.01
- Installed bumblebee
- Tried to compile the alx module for Ethernet (failed)
After I installed kernel 3.5 the touchpad right click worked. After installing the asus-wmi the fn keys worked, except for the brightness functions.
After I installed bumblebee the launcher no longer displays the icons, but still works if you click in the right place. The other change I saw was the the task switcher (alt-tab) was different, but does not display the expected image.
I tried to compile the alx driver but after following the instructions had this error,
make -C /lib/modules/3.5.0-9-generic/build M=/home/duncan/src/compat-wireless-2012-07-03-p modules make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.5.0-9-generic' scripts/Makefile.build:44: /home/duncan/src/compat-wireless-2012-07-03 p/drivers/net/ethernet/atheros/alx/Makefile: No such file or directory make: *** No rule to make target `/home/duncan/src/compat-wireless-2012-07-03-p/drivers/net/ethernet/atheros/alx/Makefile'. Stop. make: *** [/home/duncan/src/compat-wireless-2012-07-03-p/drivers/net/ethernet/atheros/alx] Error 2 make: *** [/home/duncan/src/compat-wireless-2012-07-03-p/drivers/net/ethernet/atheros] Error 2 make: *** [_module_/home/duncan/src/compat-wireless-2012-07-03-p] Error 2 make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.5.0-9-generic' make: *** [modules] Error 2
Some other things which are not quite right:
- Right click area of the mouse pad can result in a left-click
- Screen does not automatically dim when removing the power cord
So the questions:
- How do I get the GeForce GT 630M to work correctly? (and how do I know if it is being used instead of the Intel graphics?)
- How do I get the brightness keys to work?
- Do I need a particular version of the alx module?
- What else might I need that I am missing?
- Does the asus-wmi provide all of the necessary power management features?
- Is there a way to stop certain areas of the touchpad from being a left click? i.e. I want to prevent left-clicks when I am trying to right click
- What do I need to install for more advanced power management?