Sign up ×
Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. It's 100% free.

I deleted ubuntu as it stopped working and I couldn't find a solution on the internet. I planned to deleted ubuntu for now and reinstall it when I find my installation cd.

However, I didn't think about grub and then when I turn on the computer it said the grub partition cannot be found so I couldn't load into windows.

My recovery cd for windows vista doesn't have an option to recover/repair windows at all. So, seeing as there was nothing in the windows partition that I needed, I decided to do a full reinstall.

After installing the computer said to restart it. Once I restarted the computer I got the grub partition message once again.

I need help.

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Uri Herrera, RolandiXor, belacqua, hbdgaf, ajmitch Aug 22 '12 at 3:09

Questions on Ask Ubuntu are expected to relate to Ubuntu within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

You should ask this on a windows forum... afaik it is something as fixmbr on the command line. –  Rinzwind Aug 6 '12 at 19:31
You reinstalled Windows or Ubuntu? What did you do to reinstall? How did you partition the disk? –  John S Gruber Aug 7 '12 at 4:06

1 Answer 1

With Vista and 7 ( they have the same bootloader ) you have to rewrite the MBR as usual and re-generate the small boot partition that takes care of all the steps for booting your Windows OS.

You have to boot from a CD, like a normal installation, or from a rescue CD, the important thing is that you have to start a prompt, once you have done that you have to follow this steps:

probably you want to focus on fixmbr and fixboot.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.