Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

To be honest I'm not sure or what I want is possible but it would be very nice if this can be done.

I changed the behavior of the Capslock to act like a Ctrl key. Now it's just an Ctrl key only positioned at an easier to reach place, which is great, but…

It would even be nicer if I could press the Capslock key followed by a second key press. I mean for example: Capslock(ctrl) → V instead of the normal Capslock(ctrl) + V.

I guess what I'm looking for is a somewhat similar behavior as the G(go) combinations in Vim or Gmail. Does anyone have an idea how this can be accomplished?

share|improve this question

Don't know how to arrange the second bit of behaviour. Doing the following should set you up for simply making Capslock act like the Ctrl key.

  1. In the dash, search for and launch "Keyboard Layout".
  2. Click on "Options" in the lower right corner.
  3. Open "Caps Lock Key Behaviour"
  4. Select "Make Caps Lock an additional Control but keep the Caps_Lock keysym"

If you would prefer to launch this from the terminal, you can do so by running the terminal command gnome-control-center. This should bring up a window titled "system settings". You should see several icons, one of which is "Keyboard Layout". Its under the "personal" heading. Once you select it, you can follow the above steps.

share|improve this answer
Yes that is how I did that part too. It would be really nice to be able to press it once then follow with an other key instead of holding it down and pressing an other key. Maybe it is just me who thinks that is a good idea, dunno. – Mood Aug 2 '12 at 19:30
Ah, sorry, I misread your question. Sorry. – Caleb Aug 2 '12 at 23:15
There is no "Keyboard Layout" in any of my menus, i.e. neither in "System Tools, Administration", nor "System Tools, Preferences". Probably because I use the simple openwin as desktop with only some Gnome things (like the gnome-panel to get a unbuntu-ish menu at all). Do you happen to know the console command I can bring it up with? – towi Oct 11 '12 at 7:33
I've added instructions to do this from the terminal to the original post. – Caleb Oct 11 '12 at 18:16
It seems that 13.10 has changed this. Is there a new way? – Jeremy Heiler Nov 7 '13 at 0:33

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.