I have a few question related to customizng Ubuntu 12.04 Live CD using the tutorial given at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization .
For me it was possible to modify till the section where we install new softwares ( section 6.1.2) to the live cd. After that I directly jump to Advanced Customization (section 6.7) located at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization#Advanced_Customizations . My questions are:-
1) When I run the following command to mount the live cd, it shows a warning that the iso is mounted as read only. Is it ok, or should it be writable?
2) There are three folders created in the folder livecdtmp. They are edit, extract-cd and mnt. My questions are, which folder should I edit so that the change happens to the "customized live cd", and which folder to edit to have the customized Ubuntu installation ?
3) What is the use of extract-cd, edit and mnt folders ?
4) The tutorial says, to have a custom background for GNOME, I have to edit /usr/share/gnome-background-properties/ubuntu-wallpapers.xml . Which file, or the file in which folder should I edit for the change to happen both in Live cd and the customized installation.
5) Then, coming to the Advanced Customiation --> Kernel Updation, once inside the chroot, I cannot issue the following commands :-
sudo cp edit/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-k7 extract-cd/casper/vmlinuz sudo cp edit/boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-26-k7 extract-cd/casper/initrd.lz
It says, folder dosn't exist. Should this be done from inside the chroot environment ?
6) The tutorial says that, in order to edit the inird.lz file, I have to perform the following steps.
# cd extract-cd/casper # mkdir lztempdir # cd lztempdir # lzma -dc -S .lz ../initrd.lz | cpio -imvd --no-absolute-filenames
Should this be done in chroot environment that we initially prepared ? Does editing this file alone make changes to both the customized live cd as well as to the installation made from that live cd ?
When I run the last command, I get the error, that there is a premature end of archive, or no file found ?
From the # symbol, it means that I should run it within the chroot environment. But the problem is that, whenever I run the command cd extract-cd/casper , it says, there is no such directory which is actually true, because, what is mounted is the 'edit' folder. So, what should be done ?
7) There are initrd.lz file in /casper folder in both 'extracr-cd' and 'mnt'. Should I copy the Kernel file to both these folders? Which one should I need to edit inorder to have updated kernel, new plymouth theme, etc ?
8) I wish to set gnome-classic to have in the live cd? What should be done in order to have the gnome-classic in both the live cd and in the installation made with that cd ?
9) How to remove lightdm login screen and to have the gdm like login screen that was initially present in Ubuntu till around 9.10 ?
Update:- When I ran the following command outside chroot, I get the following error.
roshan@roshan-Studio-1558:~/initrd$ lzma -dc -S .lz ../livecdtmp/extract-cd/casper/initrd.lz | cpio -imvd --no-absolute-filenames lzma: ../livecdtmp/extract-cd/casper/initrd.lz: File format not recognized cpio: premature end of archive