Attemping a new install of Ubuntu 12.04 on what was a Windows XP laptop (HP Pavilon ze4500 with 40GB HDD). Downloaded the ISO image and burned to a DVD. Seems to copy all files OK, askes for location and keyboard and after a while reports
Installation failed, The installer encountered an unrecoverable error. A desktop session will now be run so that you may investigate the problem or try installing again.
I am completly new to Linux and have little technical knowledge so simple advice as how to proceed will be welcome. Thank you.
Follows one example of an attempt to install.
tick for 4.4 GB available, is connected to the internet, other 2 option not ticked this time
- Option 1 Install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside Install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - not selected
- Erase Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and reinstall - not taken
- Something else - Selected
/dev/sda /dev/sda1 ext4 39000 MB with 2909 MB used /dev/sda swap 1004 MB with 0 MB used
New Partition Table
You have selected an entire devices to partition... all current partitions will be removed - can be undone if wished
/dev/sda free space 40007MB
Create a new partition
- Primary or Logical - took default of Primary
- New partition size changed from 40007 MB to 39000 MB
- Location for new partition - took default of Beginning (rather than end)
- Use as Ext4journaling file system (don't understand the choices anyway)
- Set Mount point with / (found this on the Internet otherwise would have never known what to put into here)
/dev/sda /dev/sda ext 4 / tick under Format?, size 38998 MB type unknown free space 1008 MB - changed the type to swap
After some time the install fails
The installer encountered a unrecoverable error. A desktop session will not be run so that you may investigate the problem or try installing again
System program problem detected