I've got an Acer Aspire 5750-6866 (8gb internal memory), dual booting Ubuntu/Win7. The other day I started getting hd0 out of disk error and a boot screen that is completely different than what I was getting before (purple boot screen).
Windows booted correctly. But after a reboot where I got the same screen, neither Ubuntu nor Windows would boot normally; Ubuntu hangs at the boot screen (black screen after the initial loading screen), Windows boots to startup repair that I've left repairing for 24 hours to no avail, with no option to cancel.
- Booting from Windows essentials disk - could not detect harddrive
- Bios - did not show harddrive information, but will show harddrive in boot options
- Gparted live - shows harddrive beeing unallocated
- Tried to fix grub - cannot mount /dev/sda
- Tried to
chkdskthe harddrive but windows still wont detect disk for it
- Booting from live USB with boot-repair - it will not boot into it.
- My final option is reinstalling Ubuntu - but during installation get a input/output error regarding the HD
I would really appreciate any help you can give me. I'm not sure if there are other things I could try, or if it's the hard drive or motherboard that needs replacing/fixing. I really hope this is something I can fix with this hardware. Any help you can give me would be great, even if you just point me in the right direction, I truly am stuck here.