Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I got no sound on 12.04 - it's an amd64 desktop with SB Audigy card that has worked in all previous incarnations of Ubuntu

I have tried alsa mixer and sound settings. All volume is up and all mutes are off.

I tried installing alsa drive modules and got this:

E: Unable to locate package linux-alsa-driver-modules-3.2.0-25-generic
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-alsa-driver-modules-3.2.0-25-generic'
share|improve this question
have you tried toying around in the sound preferences that came with ubuntu. often its that you have selected either the wrong output or the wrong mode. – osfast Jun 27 '12 at 20:52
I have the same problems. I've always had problems with sound. In the past, the only Distro that worked was SUSE. I use a Creative Live1024 card. I've tried every mode and combination I can think of. – Julian Knight Jun 27 '12 at 22:06

I had the same promblem with Ubuntu 10.10; also sound issues with skype, to fix the problem I was told to use pulseaudio as a set audio-mixer,and leave the stereo volume one speaker at 90% and the other at 10%, and solved, until today works fine. Cheers.

share|improve this answer
Can you provide more detailed instructions? How do I know if I'm using pulseaudio? – Julian Knight Jun 27 '12 at 22:05
Hi osfast: Yep I have fiddled with these. There are far fewer options than on the previous versions of Ubuntu: On output i only get "Digital Output, Analog output/No amplifier, Analog output/Amplifier and Dummy output". None of these are muted, and the volume slider is at 100%. Test Sound gives nada. Strangely on the input, when I tap the mic, there is a response on the input level meter, but no sound. When I run Audigy or JACK Rack, they show no option for routing to a system output. obviously none of the players work either. Can I test to see if the hardware has died? – user73658 Jul 2 '12 at 19:03

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.