Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need to use the file 'words', but I can't find it.

This shows a red file called 'words', which I think is a broken link:

ls /usr/share/dict

What can I do?

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

apt-file says it's provided by wamerican: /usr/share/dict/words. I would:

apt-get install --reinstall wamerican

share|improve this answer
Seems like 'words' is for every word. If you need a specific language you can install for eg: wspanish, and use dict/spanish – HappyDeveloper Jun 10 '12 at 20:44
Use wbritish for British english. – Ivan Chau Apr 9 '15 at 9:29

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.