I've been attempting to set up my new brother multi-function device to work as a printer and scanner using the following steps. It is connected to the network as a LAN device, not directly connected to my ubuntu machine.
- Downloaded the lpr driver and cupswrapper driver from Brother support. (Select the deb packages, not the rpms).
- Followed the instructions to install the lpr driver.
- Followed the instructions to install the cupswrapper driver.
After this point I was able to successfully perform a test print, so the printer part is working. So far I haven't had much luck getting the scanner working. This is what I've tried:
- Downloaded the brscan4 and scan-key-tool deb packages from brother support.
- Followed the instructions for installing the scanner driver for network.
- Followed the instructions for installing scan-key-tool.
However when I tried to scan it detects no scanner.
I then tried the solution offered in this answer to a question based on a similar brother printer, but no luck. I must have made a mistake somewhere along the line. Does anyone have any ideas what I can try to find out what? Or should I uninstall everything and start again from the beginning?