Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am using ubuntu12.04 and unity.

Conpiz config settings manager makes my unity desktop carsh easily, so I wonder how to enable wobbly windows effect without using CCSM?

As I know, in the ubuntu 11.04, ubuntu tweak 0.5 provide some compiz settings,

How do you enable wobbly windows in ubuntu 11.04 without using compiz?

but in the 12.04 and latest ubuntu tweak 0.7 doesn't have desktop tweak tool.

share|improve this question

Well I just did this thing and it worked for me.
Here's the way:

  1. You must have gconf-editor, known as Configuration Editor to enable wobbly plugin without using CCSM.
  2. Once you have it installed, browse to /apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/.

  3. Open active_plugins. And first, you have to remove snap plugin. It's to prevent crashing.

  4. After that, you just have to add wobbly plugin, the one you wanted.

  5. Enjoy.
share|improve this answer
Do the opposite to disable it. (Remove wobbly, and add snap.) – Drie Jul 22 '12 at 17:16

You may have to use compizconfig-settings-manager as compiz effects are not natively in gnome 3.4 which unity in 12.04 is based off

share|improve this answer

From my own experience, I just do it anyway and if it crashes, restart and you might have it. Just from my experience.

share|improve this answer
crash, that's the problem... that's why I don't like use CCSM ... – etoet Jun 2 '12 at 14:50
At least after you get everything set, you won't have to use it anymore. ccsm is just the settings manager, if it crashes when you open it, it won't do anything to the wobbly windows as long as you can get them set. – Daniel Richardson Jun 2 '12 at 18:03

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.