I'm now adding the steps to install
Webmin 1.580 on Ubuntu 12.04. Please ensure that you have
OpenSSL installed, otherwise you are not going to be able to run Webmin over TLS.
To do that just run
openssl version in your terminal, you should get an output similar to the following, if you have it installed:
OpenSSL 1.0.1 14 Mar 2012
There is no specialized Ubuntu version, so we need to install the Debian version and make manual changes. The steps are:
- First, we need to add the official Webmin repository to our list of software packages by using the following:
Add the following line at the end of
deb http://download.webmin.com/download/repository sarge contrib
You can use,
sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list for the above.
- Now we need to add Webmin author Jamie Cameron’s public key to our keyring. Do this from your home directory:
jcameron-key.asc file has completed its download, do the following:
sudo apt-key add ~/jcameron-key.asc
- Now we can install Webmin from the repo we added:
- Update your repository index:
sudo apt-get update
- Now install webmin using:
sudo apt-get install webmin
You should now be able to access
as root with your root password, or as any user who can use sudo
to run commands as root.
N.B: This is a faithful reproduction of the steps posted in the above link.