Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I imagine if I want a package updated in an LTS, such as 12.04, it has be for a very good reason. The actual package I am interested in is picolisp:

It has a (probably also affecting security!) bug which is fixed in picolisp upstream. How should the bug be filed to get attention for not only 12.10 but also 12.04?

Should the fix be a minimal patch to only fix the crash and security issue, or should the fix be an outright upgrade to picolisp latest upstream?

I have read the bug report FAQ but could only find very general advice on how to file bug reports, more aimed at and users than people with knowledge about the actual packages.

share|improve this question
Possible duplicate – Mitch May 30 '12 at 9:27
I don't think so. I can not find any answer there, and I did read that page first. @Mitch – Prof. Falken May 30 '12 at 10:31
Sorry, that did not help :( – Mitch May 30 '12 at 10:34
Have you tried the standard command 'ubuntu-bug picolisp'? You can explain your point of view in the bug report. And there are package updates even on an LTS release especially if it's a security problem. – devius May 30 '12 at 11:46
Apparently I need a sponsor for the bug... @devius, yes I tried that command. I don't need to submit a stack trace or anything, we know what the problem is and it's patched in later versions of picolisp. – Prof. Falken May 30 '12 at 12:21

I think this page solves my problem, specifically steps 1-6 under "Procedures".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.