In addition to installing the
maven package and the
eclipse package, and all their dependencies, you need to install the m2e extension. The best way to do this is using the Eclipse Marketplace, but the marketplace is not installed by default in the Ubuntu package.
Install the Eclipse Marketplace
- Open Eclipse, go to Help -> Install New Software...
- Select All Available Sites in the Work with dropdown menu.
- Wait for the list of software to populate; sometimes it takes a very long time.
- Expand the General Purpose Tools group, and tick Marketplace Client.
- Click Next, and again, accept the terms and conditions and click Finish.
This will install the marketplace. You will need to restart Eclipse for the change to take effect.
- Open Eclipse, go to Help -> Eclipse Marketplace...
- Wait for it to finish loading.
- Enter "maven" in the search box and press return.
- Click the Install button next to Maven Integration for Eclipse by Eclipse.org (NB: there is a similar item above called "Maven Integration for Eclipse WTP" by Red Hat, Inc; this is not the correct one).
Again, you will need to restart Eclipse for this to take effect.