I'm looking for a simple way to install a working graphics driver for my laptop (via command line or system settings) so that I can control the brightness and resolution.
Upgraded to 12.04 and followed instructions here: http://askubuntu.com/a/126549/46766. No special driver needed.
I have an HP Pavilion g7-1310us laptop with this integrated graphics processor I bought a few months ago. I have installed Ubuntu 11.10. But I have never got the display working properly. Some specific symptoms:
- Display settings list "Unknown"
- Cannot dim screen with control keys
- No drivers listed under Additional Drivers
I have found a few questions related to this graphics card but none of these help me resolved my problem:
- ATI 6470m & intel HD graphics 3000 drivers?
- Intel HD 3000 (Sandy Bridge) 3d games problem
- Video not recognized? Ubuntu 11.10 Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
Specifically, I just want to be able to control the screen brightness and perhaps adjust the resolution. I see that Intel lists a Linux driver released on 2012/04/23 on their download site: downloadcenter.intel.com. But it recommends "obtaining precompiled driver packages from your Linux distribution vendor".
I'd like to install either though a simple command line command or through the Additional Drivers window under System Settings.
Is this possible in either 11.10 or, if I upgrade, 12.04?