Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a quick question about file shredding. Is there any application with graphical interface capable of shredding files and folders?

I know bleachbit has that feature but there are no options or configurations and I really can't know if the files are unrecoverable or not.

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

The easiest option I could find with your requirements is nautilus-wipe.

  • Go to the Software Center, search for nautilus-wipe, and install it.

enter image description here

  • After installing, you'll need to completely close Nautilus. The easiest way to do this is to log out and log back in.
  • Open Nautilus, navigate to what you want to wipe, right-click on any file/folder to see the options Wipe and Wipe Available Diskpace
  • If you click on wipe, you will see the following:

enter image description here

  • You can configure the options (type of wipe, number of passes, etc.) by clicking on the Options triangle:

enter image description here

  • Clicking Wipe Available Diskspace on any item or within empty space in Nautilus will offer to wipe free space on the that partition:

enter image description here

  • Close Nautilus when done.
share|improve this answer
I'm correcting this. nautilus-wipe doesn't require root. – Jeremy Bicha Jun 25 at 20:11

You can also use bleachbit Install bleachbit. It can be installed in the Software Center.

share|improve this answer

I realize OP asked for a GUI option, nevertheless, for those needing a scriptable comand-line option, You may use 'shred' from GNU coreutils.

     man shred

for full details.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.