Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

So I'm experimenting with Ubuntu 12.04 after using ArchLinux for the last 2 years or so. I'm looking for an Ubuntu package for Alloy Analyzer and can't seem to find one.

I've a hard time believing that the Arch package repositories are more complete than the Ubuntu repositories are so I assume I'm just being a dummy. I can't find it through the software center or apt-cache search though. Any suggestions? I believe the Arch package may be in the AUR, does Ubuntu have an equivalent?


share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I believe the Arch package may be in the AUR, does Ubuntu have an equivalent?

The equivalent for Arch User Repositories" in Ubuntu are called PPAs (personal package archives). See for more information.

That said, I didn't find any PPAs containing Alloy Analyzer. Perhaps the reason why is because all "installing" it require is downloading and running a JAR file?

The only update/check you may require is a simple wget to check for and download a newer version:

wget -N

every once in a while. Or make it a cron job if you wish :)

share|improve this answer
Ah, thanks for the info about PPAs I wasn't aware of them. :) – Andrew Myers May 19 '12 at 17:56

Maybe this is a stupid suggestion, but did you try downloading the jar file and running it?

share|improve this answer
Well, I can do that as a last resort. I want it in the package manager though so I don't have to track updates etc. – Andrew Myers May 18 '12 at 23:44

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.