I recently bought a new laptop: Asus N55SL.
I've tried to run Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on it. I was extremely happy with it on my previous HP Pavillion 6195.
I have 5 partitions:
- ntfs win7 recovery partition
- ntfs win7 home premium OS partition
- ntfs data partition
- ext4 /
- ext4 /home
- swap (16 gigs)
Now: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS installs perfectly. But doesn't recognize most of the brand new peripherals: graphics card, wlan card, eth card.
I've been waiting patiently for the release of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS... If i boot from a live distro it works like a charm. Even the webcam gets recognized properly! but I don't manage to get installed on the disk properly!
- manually install the network card driver on 10.04 and do a distro upgrade -- failed
- install the live with the network connection enabled -- failed
- as .2 but without network
- install on a single ext4 partition without a separate /home -- failed
the installation freezes after writing about 2.1 GB on disk. The CPU start getting hot (fan speed raves high like crazy). If I force a shutdown with the power button I don't get grub loaded during boot.
Luckily if reinstall Ubuntu 10.04 back everything gets properly restored.
Thanks for helping.