Today I foolishly gave in to upgrade requests to 12.04 from 11.10 and now Im having a lot of issues with the unity interface where the previous version worked seamlessly.
After boot the following services are running:
The main problems are :
Every 30seconds or so all windows and menus disappear for a few seconds leaving just the background image
If the mouse goes over the task bar items on the top right of the screen it causes a segmentation fault of
unity.glib.dbusproxy "unity.glib.dbusproxy GLibDBusProxy.cpp:257 cannot call method SetViewType proxy /com/canonical/unity/lens/commands does not exist
Window boarders disappear and I can't move or resize windows
- If the mouse goes over the app menu on the left I get a compiz segfault
composite sync not supported
compiz: segfault at 0 ip ... sp ... error 4 in libunityshell.so[...]
- The computer will not shut down when I select "shut down" from the task bar on the top right.
Ive tried a lot of different commands to try and fix this based on other related questions:
- unity --reset
- unity --replace
- compiz --replace
- metacity --replace&unity
- gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz-1
- gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compizconfig-1
- rm -rf ~/.gconf* ~/.gnome* ~/.metacity ~/.compiz ~/.conf*
- disabling animation features etc... in gconf-editor but any changes
cause a segmentation fault
"gconf-client-lookup assertion failed"
- changing CCSM settings (compiz config settings manager)
- reverting to gnome-session-fallback but it's not possible due to a dependency issue
"gnome-session : Breaks: unity-2d (< 5.4~) but 5.2.0-0ubuntu1 is to be installed E: Error"
So Ive made zero progress. Any suggestions appreciated :)
I have an Intel atom netbook with 945GSE Express integrated graphics controller