Up until 2-3 months ago I had no computer crashing issues with my C2D/6600 GT rig ( Ive had it for 4-5 years ).
I've been running 10.04 LTS - Lucid Lynx for 1-2 years and have had no crashing issues whatsoever.
I'm not a gamer, but a few months ago I decided to spontaneously play Warcraft 3 on WINE, and so I started playing it. I had no issues at the start but after awhile it started artifacting in-game - I would see weird random graphic displayage, and after awhile my computer started crashing. The crashing got worse, and I think this killed my video card.
Prior to playing WC3 on Wine, I've never had any crashing issues whatsoever; but afterwards my computer started crashing during in-browser flash playing ( youtube, etc ).
About 3 weeks ago I replaced my 6600 gt with a GT 430. Most of the time I still crash on WC3 through WINE, but there are times where I can play 3-4 hours without crashing at all, and no artifacting whatsoever.
The inside of my computer is very dusty, but since I replaced the video card with a new one, does that not cancel the video card out? Unless my GT 430 is faulty? ( I doubt it's that )
I have a feeling it's temperature related - I've had the same processor for 5 years. Could it be overheating? Here are the temps after startup and 10 mins of playing a flash video:
The GPU seems to be fine but the CPU cores seem to get to 58*C - the graphics of course display red but isn't this normal? Random question: Should I reapply Arctic Silver on my CPU after only having applied it on initial CPU setup?
Would appreciate any insight. I'll try to debug this more by looking at the temps when running a game and/or high quality video.
- Had 6600GT/C2D E6300 for a long time. Had no issues.
- Started playing WC3 on Wine, started getting artifacts, could see artifacts in BIOS and in games.
- Computer started crashing during flash video playing, game playing, even at random times not even running anything heavy ( like 3 mins after startup )
- Replaced 6600GT with GT 430 - I don't get artifacting in BIOS or games anymore but my computer still crashes.
Let me know if more information is necessary.
EDIT: Computer just crashed during the creation of this question.
- Nvidia drivers are 195.36.24
- GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
- G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
- Intel Core2Duo E6300 Box Core2Duo 1.86GHz@1066FSB
- EVGA GT 430
- Antec Smartpower 350W
- 3 Hard drives @ SATA
EDIT #2: Maybe I should think of upgrading my PSU?
EDIT #3: By "crash" I mean the computer freezes - everything stays as is, just nothing is usable. It doesn't go into any black screen or blue screen of death.
One note is that sometimes, if it crashes on a video thats being played, the audio will still play and the mouse will work but everything else is "frozen" - and after about 15 seconds of that both the mouse and audio 'freeze'. So I actually meant to use freeze, not crash.