Sign up ×
Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. It's 100% free.

I can't find this shortcut, please help.

share|improve this question
this will help:… –  Rinzwind May 11 '14 at 8:40

2 Answers 2

up vote 7 down vote accepted
  • Install the compizconfig-settings-manager Install compizconfig-settings-manager package
  • The setting can be found in Desktop, Ubuntu Unity Plugin, Switcher
  • Change Key to flip through windows in the switcher from disabled to something else.

And the reason you can not find it: disabled means it uses alt+` so it is impossible to find if you did not already know where it is used for ;)

share|improve this answer
This isn't working for me with Ubuntu 12.04. I gave it another key. I've ticked the "Enable Ubuntu Unity Plugin". I've rebooted. But it doesn't respond to the new key and Alt+~ still functions. –  Tergiver Dec 27 '13 at 19:52

Here is what I had to do.

  • open up a terminal run dconf-editor

  • then navigate to org > gnome > desktop > wm > keybindings

  • find the ['<Super>Above_Tab', '<Alt>Above_Tab']

  • and set it to ['disabled']

  • then it should free up that binding for you to use else where.

(ps: I used alt grave to switch back one application like you can in mac works well for me and the setting for that is in dconf-editor under the same place


also for those of you that don't know what a grave is, it is the key right above the tab key and to the left of the number 1 key it looks like this ( ` ) or plush shift ( ~ ) its also known as a back-tick and is used in mark down and python as a comment like such   ``` code here ```

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.