This bug has been driving me nuts for several months. I tried several fixes (nohwcrypt=1, blacklisting various drivers, etc.) Nothing worked for more than a few minutes until I tried the solution here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1046800
The place to download the updated kernel stuff is here: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.6.3-quantal/
(I have precise, not quantal, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.)
You will need to get the following header packages:
- linux-headers specific to your architecture (i386 or x64)
- linux-headers (all)
You will also need to get the following kernel packages:
- linux-image for your architecture
- linux-image-extras for your architecture
Once you have the packages, you can install each one like this:
sudo dpkg -i (name of file)
That done, reboot the machine, and you should be good.
After running for half an hour, this is the statistics (mtr) for pinging my router:
Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev
0.1% 1715 2.0 4.6 1.5 460.1 21.0
This is NOT as reliable as it is in Windows, so I think the driver maintainers still have some work to do. However, it's orders of magnitude better than it was before!