Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. It's 100% free.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm a beginner with Ubuntu, booting it via usb in order to see if I can recover files from my hard drive after a crash. I clicked on my hard drive in order to mount it, and got "Unable to mount 151 GB Filesystem" as the title of an error message. It then goes on to say:

Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 13: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread

failed: Input/output error

Failed to read NTFS $Bitmap: Input/output error

NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory (e.g. /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation for more details.*

Does this indicate a total hard drive failure, or is there a way to correct this error and access my files? Tnx JW

share|improve this question

You can try and install ``ntfsprogs".

$ sudo apt-get install ntfsprogs

Then, try and run "ntfsck" and/or "ntfsfix" on the Windows NTFS partition.

$ ntfsck /dev/sda1    #If your partition is /dev/sda1

If you're not sure of the Windows partition/device, you can try ``fdisk" command on the Terminal.

$ sudo fdisk -l

Look for the "Device" with "System" as NTFS. Example:

Device     Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda5        348483584   373188607    12352512    7  NTFS

You can also refer to the following: How do you repair an "input/output error" in an NTFS partition?

share|improve this answer
Thank you for the help! – JJW May 6 '12 at 20:19

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.