I used the "Upgrade" option to install 12.04 LTS on a laptop from 11.10.
The installation completed and after rebooting I have these issues:
- login screen displays but all icons are missing
- mouse/trackpad does not work at all
- I can log in
- after logging in the desktop is black
- no icons appear in the left sidebar
- all icons are missing in the desktop
- pressing the "Windows" key brings up the dash home
- search is working
- can search for 'terminal' which brings up a terminal window
- terminal window is unresponsive and I can't type any commands there
- CTRL-ALT-F2 causes a black screen to be shown
- an external mouse or keyboard, or an external monitor does not connect
- restarting with no external devices connected makes no difference
The computer has a switchable intel graphics card. The other card is nvidia.
What can I do to recover from this?
Using a new copy of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Desktop from a bootable USB drive the laptop is running correctly with none of the above issues.
Thanks all for the tips.