Take the 2-minute tour ×
Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In 12.04, I just tried the pane-setting 'resize' (or autoshrink or what it is named). Now, I don't like it any longer and I would like to switch back. But since the panel is shrunken, there is no longer a place where I can click (with Super+Alt+rightclick), I'm always in one or another application which lies in the panel.

So, is there another way than clicking on an empty space in the panel to open the settings?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

One possible alternative is to enable (tick) the expand property for the panel:

enter image description here

To do this, install dconf-tools either from Software Center or via

sudo apt-get install dconf-tools

Then run dconf-editor and navigate to org.gnome.gnome-panel.layout.toplevels

share|improve this answer
No such thing as org.gnome.gnome-panel in Gnome 3.10 @ Ubuntu 14.04 :( –  Rui Marques Nov 6 '14 at 19:49

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.