I am looking to purchase a new video card and I want to run three LCDs side-by-side. I normally would buy NVidia, but from what I have read, ATI is the leader in multi-monitor with their Eyefinity technology.
- My motherboard is a ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3.
- The Dell UltraSharp U2412M monitors I'm looking to buy have DVI, DisplayPort, but no HDMI.
- My current video card is a GeForce 8800 GTS. It has 2 DVI ports. It would be nice to just add a second card, but I'm willing to replace it entirely.
- Currently running Ubuntu 11.10 amd64, but I will probably install 12.04 soon.
- I'm running Gnome 3, but I'd be willing to switch to unity to make this work.
- I play games, so 3d acceleration must work. I may be okay with 3d acceleration only working on a single monitor.
- The video card(s) must be able to push 1920x1200 across 3 screens.
- I need a large, continuous desktop. I need to be able to drag windows between all three screens.
What video card, or pair of cards, will support three monitors in Ubuntu?
- I'm willing to edit xorg.conf (and I've been around long enough to remember when you had to hand-edit it).
- If I have to patch and/or compile some package, it's not a deal-breaker.