Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've seen a ton of tutorials on how to move your home directory to a separate partition.

I want to do the opposite.

I have two HDDs. One /home/ and the other is everything else (both drives have only one partition). I want to use one of the hard drives for another project. So, I'd like to move the home directory and system files back onto a single drive.

Thank you!

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Well, moving stuff back is even easier... log into recovery mode (so you're root and /home is not used by anything), unmount home:

umount /home

If you want to copy data from the old home directories, mount the partition somewhere else:

mount /dev/sdb1 /media/disk

then copy the data and it's done. To make changes permanent - edit etc/fstab to remove the line which mounts home.

HOWEVER: If you're selling the computer, it's highly recommended to perform a clean install... maybe with a low-level disk erasing before installing. Which would render your problem unimportant, isn't it?

share|improve this answer
Ya, normally I'd do a clean install but I just don't have the time. The buyer will likely just run Windows on it anyways. Can you tell me how to log into recovery mode? (btw, thanks for the fast answer!) – Nathan J. Brauer Apr 16 '12 at 4:35
There usually is an entry in GRUB boot menu. Alternatively, you can boot from Ubuntu LiveCD/USB and just mount both of your disks, copy the home directories and edit /etc/fstab from there. – Sergey Apr 16 '12 at 4:58
Hey @Sergey, that worked best for me. The only issue I ran into was that the copied home dirs were owned by root so it caused issues until I fixed that. If you want to add an answer based on your comment + a command to copy the home dirs while preserving permissions (timestamps and symlinks too?), I'll accept that answer and upvote it :) – Nathan J. Brauer Feb 12 '13 at 9:10
cp -rp [source] [destination] or rsync -avzu [source] [destination] that can be extended with -HAX if you need them. For more info, do man cp and man rsync. – user129005 Feb 12 '13 at 9:33

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.