Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. It's 100% free.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

i was using windows 7 and decided to replace it with ubuntu 12.04 ,but i couldn't find any program that do the job of "Volume Mixer" like in windows 7:

volume mixer in windows 7

if there is any program or a way you know to do so, i would really appreciate your help.

share|improve this question
I don't know about 12.04. But 11.10 and all versions I've ever seen come with one preinstalled and enabled by default. Perhaps your soundcard is not working? – d_inevitable Apr 6 '12 at 23:54
Sound preferences. – Uri Herrera Apr 6 '12 at 23:57
up vote 8 down vote accepted

There is Sound Settings which will allow you to change all sound options much like Windows.

Sound Selection

You can adjust the slider to change volume,mute the output, control media playback etc. Once you choose sound Settings you can adjust all preferences by selecting a tab.

All settings

If you want to have the functionality of the Windows sound menu control you will need to install Alsamixer from the software centre which as it's description says;

GNOME Alsa Mixer

A 'volume control' application. You can use it to adjust the volume of different sound sources of your sound card. It has a nice graphical user interface and a lot of features:

  • Access to all of your computers sound card and audio sources
  • Possibility to give them custom names
  • Only display the mixer controls you need
  • Access to all the extra features some sound cards offer, like 3D enhancement, microphone gain, boost etc.
  • And more....

The application uses the ALSA sound API which is installed by default.

ALSA Mixer

share|improve this answer
sorry my bad i meant this one: it s used to adjust the volume of one application only, or all applications at once. – speedox Apr 7 '12 at 19:33
I think pavucontrol is the pulseaudio equivalent of alsamixer... – fossfreedom Apr 7 '12 at 22:50
@fossfreedom Yes it is. pavucontrol is a more bit complex than the regular Configuration screen of sounds. The youtube audio is under plugin container, as example. Thank you. – erm3nda May 26 '15 at 3:11
@fossfreedom you know what is sad? when I open xfce settings and search for audio or sound, pavucontrol doesn't pop up although it's pre-installed. anyway, thank you, this should actually have its own question – Blauhirn Mar 8 at 22:41

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.