I want to install OpenOffice.org. What can I do to install it on my computer?
NOTE - To remove LibreOffice ( to avoid any conflict) please read Rick Green's below answer and then follow this.
Now it is known as Apache OpenOffice which is available through third Party repository as
If you are on a 64 bit system you are not done yet. Starting openoffice3 will fail with the message "no suitable windowing system found, exiting". You need to install some 32 bit libraries:
Next, it fails with "exception in syncronize" because permissions are wrong. Fix them. Then it worked for me.
By default, this will install Apache OpenOffice in your
For installing the desktop integration features for your setup navigate to
1) For installing OpenOffice you have to first uninstall the LibreOffice which is by default installed in your Ubuntu.
So open the Terminal Window and type the following command and give password.This will remove the LibreOffice completely.
Open the Ubuntu Software Center and search for “LibreOffice core” and click on remove (uninstall).This will uninstall the LibreOffice completely.
2) Download OpenOffice from its official website.The download file will be in *.tar.gz format.
3) After the file is downloaded, go to the downloaded directory and click on “Extract here”.
4) Now open the Terminal and change the directory to the location where your Extracted Open Office file is present.Just type “cd” followed by drag and dropping the “DEBS” folder or manually do it.
5) Type the following command which will install OpenOffice by installing all the *.deb package files.
6) Enjoy using OpenOffice !!
protected by Community♦ Apr 22 at 20:16
This question is protected to prevent "thanks!", "me too!", or spam answers by new users. To answer it, you must have earned at least 10 reputation on this site.