As far as it concerns a pure ubuntu solution, there is an interesting how to for removing the security functionality of WD MyPassport hard drive on ubuntu using
hdparm and the master password 'WDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCW', which could differ for various models.
However, it is recommended to use up-to-date SmartWare on Windows, since it is intended this way.
Following the instructions of this nice article, i got my external WD HDD mounted and running on ubuntu like every other USB-Storage.
In essence you do the following steps:
- Mount the drive on Windows
- Update WD Smartware and Disk Firmware
- Disable the virtual CD and remove password under settings in WD SmartWare
palimpsest on ubuntu
- Delete all partition and create a new Master Boot Record
- Create an empty partition
- format it using an linux/bsd file system.
Is is possible to reformat it to any FS you want, afterwards.