Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm curious if there's a way to enable the more fun UI features in Ubuntu 11.04 that were available in previous versions. The effects I'm most curious about is the wobbly windows and the alt tab program switcher that looked like a rolodex. Those things were delightful. I've been reading about the compiz tool and since I'm a pretty noob user, I don't think I want to risk destroying my desktop for a chance to get these effects back.

Any help would be appreciated.


share|improve this question
Not possible.. that's a compiz effect. And no Compiz will not make your PC explode. – Uri Herrera Mar 22 '12 at 4:49
I'm assuming by "Compiz tool", you mean CCSM and not Compiz itself. – Christopher Kyle Horton Mar 22 '12 at 7:16
up vote 1 down vote accepted

You apparently can enable this feature by installing Ubuntu Tweak and going under Desktop > Compiz Settings > Enable wobbly windows, no CCSM required. You can download an appropriate .deb for Ubuntu Tweak from this Launchpad page (I'd recommend getting the latest Natty .deb, which currently looks like ubuntu-tweak_0.5.14-1~natty1_all.deb).

Note: I have not tried this solution myself; it may or may not mess Unity up, though I'd assume that if the option is available in 11.04's version of Ubuntu Tweak then it was at least lightly tested to work. I discovered this solution from a screenshot on this blog post.

share|improve this answer
Thank you very much this worked perfectly. – Tripod Smurf Apr 10 '12 at 3:16

The way I see it, you have three options:

  1. Find another WM that provides the desired effects. AFAIK, Compiz is the only one, but perhaps you'll discover something no one knows about.

  2. Learn coding and write a WM that supports those effects.

  3. Magic, many people believe it works.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.