Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a way I can remove the rounded borders on the top left and right corners of windows on Gnome Shell? How can I do it?

share|improve this question

From the ArchLinux Forum:

edit the css in /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/gnome-shell.css 
(the .panel-corner properties).

The credit goes to the forum user "gimmy". Refer to the original forum in the sources below if you would like to view the entire thread.

Source: ArchLinux Forum -
share|improve this answer

Any easier way to remove rounded corners and have it persist even after theme updates is to use the Remove Rounded Corners extension.

Remove Rounded Corners Extension

share|improve this answer
This doesn't work in Ubuntu Precise anymore, it says that the GNOME3 there is too old. – pts Mar 7 '13 at 14:49

There is a package called GNOME Tweak Tool sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool that allows you to make changes to the interface, and install new themes. You can find additional GNOME-Shell themes here, and perhaps other sites as well.

share|improve this answer
Yes, I know how to change theme, but I want to change edit Adwaita theme. – user25119 Mar 21 '12 at 14:33

For the people who use a custom theme: A better way is to modify the gnome-shell css file of the theme. If you use a gnome-shell.css file with your custom theme, edit the file with a text editor and just add these lines:

.panel-corner { 
 -panel-corner-radius: 0px;
 -panel-corner-background-color: transparent;
 -panel-corner-border-width: 0px;
 -panel-corner-border-color: transparent;

"Remove Rounded Corners extension" is a good extension but sometimes it bugs with the "User Theme" extension...

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.