Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. It's 100% free.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've recently moved to Linux Mint, but I've always preferred the Ubuntu terminal over the xterm that is used in XFCE and KDE, can anyone tell me what it is called or where I can download it?


share|improve this question
up vote 12 down vote accepted


share|improve this answer
Thank you! That's a great help! – Bajinga Mar 11 '12 at 14:40
Too stark for my amusement. :'( – jokerdino Mar 12 '12 at 7:06

Ubuntu uses Gnome Terminal by default. Xfce uses xfce4-terminal. KDE uses Konsole.

share|improve this answer
Ah, thanks for that! – Bajinga Mar 11 '12 at 14:40

in LXDE it uses the lxde-terminal or some such variant. in kde konsole(usually). but there is also the TTY which I would recommend for fun(as in it does not allow you to focus on more than one thing at once). press ctrl-alt-F1-f6 ctrl-alt-F7 to exit.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.