Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. It's 100% free.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

enter image description here

I know that:

Default font-is just default
Document font-for Documents
Window title fonts is for titles.

What the others are for? What is monospace font? I only know it's a font like any font.

Hinting is for notices like the names of objects in the dock, isn't it?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

The Ubuntu Unity desktop allows fonts to be specified for a number of different display categories:

  • Application font - The font used to display text in application windows. This also changes the font used to display items such as the menus in the desktop panel.
  • Document font - Specifies the font that is to be used when displaying document text in an application.
  • Desktop font - The font used to display text under the icons on the desktop (such as folder names).
  • Window title font - The font used on the text in window titles.
  • Fixed width / Monospace font - Specifies the font to be used when the system needs to display a fixed width font. A prime example of this is the text that is rendered in a Terminal window.
  • Default font - As its name implies, the widely used font.
share|improve this answer
i still didn't get what is the monospace font, my items in the desktop in ubuntu font, as it says ubuntu mono. – yinon Mar 10 '12 at 20:48
@yinon See the bullet before the last one which explains what is this font (terminal) – yossile Mar 10 '12 at 21:06
"fixed width / Monospace font" ok, it just i saw it's first name – yinon Mar 10 '12 at 22:36

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.