I'm having issues with Wine 1.4 in Ubuntu 11.10. To be honest, I don't know if it ever worked on this hardware (relatively new computer, had it for a few months), seeing as the Wine app I use the most hardly uses sound, but now that I tried another app, it's giving me problems. When I do an audio test in Wine Config, I get a short static sound. The selected driver appears to be
winealsa.drv, do I need to change that and if so, how would I do that? I have all the input and output devices set to default, I don't think I have to change that. I also shouldn't have to restart ALSA with
sudo /sbin/alsa force-reload because it seems to work fine with my other applications (unless that's all on PulseAudio?), but even when I do run that command to restart ALSA, the test sound in Wine Config is still the same short static. I thought In the one application I just tried that uses sound a lot, sound plays but insanely fast, making it practically as useless as if sound didn't work at all. Sound works perfectly from anything outside of Wine.
I think I've found the problem, though. When I go in Regedit to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/, there's no
Drivers key, nor
Audio key. I created a
Drivers key and added an
Audio string with
alsa as a value, didn't change anything. Edit: if I set the value to anything else, Wine Config tells me the audio driver is unavailable.
I've tried searching for a solution, went through forums (and I'll keep searching), I briefly looked at the Wine AppsDB but I don't think the problem is application-specific
Edit: getting the debs from this place (from the Launchpad bug) tells me it has unmet dependencies, and if I try to install that dependency, Synaptic tells me it has to remove a whole lot of packages! Not willing to do that.