Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. It's 100% free.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to replace it with a toolbar that resembles the Mac OS...can't remember what it is called but it has nice effects.

share|improve this question
It's called a Dock, a Toolbar is where the Application's Action controls are, Back Forward, Home, Refresh, those Tools. A dock acts as Launcher and a Window navigator in some cases. – Uri Herrera Mar 15 '12 at 23:01

I think you are referring to the Panel at the bottom of the screen. Like all panels - you can just remove this panel and then add whatever dock you which to use.

enter image description here

Right click the second panel and choose Panel Preferences - you can then delete the Panel as shown.

share|improve this answer
Worked like a charm! – muncherelli May 28 '12 at 17:08

The dock you want is probably Docky. Start the software centre and search for Docky, or start a terminal and type sudo apt-get install docky.

You can install Avant Window Navigator, but I suggest you don't. Unfortunately it isn't very well packaged for Xubuntu, and brings in an enormous amount of the unity and gnome desktop packages from 'vanilla' Ubuntu, which are then really hard to get rid of. I know, I tried.

share|improve this answer
It does because it has packages that depend on gnome. Docky doesn't also there's Plank nice overly simplistic dock. – Uri Herrera Mar 15 '12 at 22:59

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.