I am trying to install the Nvidia 555M driver on my Lenovo Y570. I've tried all the advises here and other sites but I couldn't solve the problem.
- I downloaded the graphics card driver from the nvidia site for linux X64
- I tried to install it but a warning appears that I have to close x server.
- I use Alt+Ctrl+F1 and then type
sudo service lightdm stopto stop the X server
- After this I can easily install the NVIDIA driver. but there was a problem: I couldn't get back to x server when I typed
sudo service lightdm start. Again the black screen appeared.
- After deleting xorg.conf file I again can see the screen as opened as first installation of Ubuntu.
Edit: After trying too many things again the failure. I am adding what i tried till now. If you can help I will be very glad to you.
Thanks for your advise but it didn't work :( There is no problem with stopping lightdm and then installing nvidia driver for Geforce 555m. The main problem that I have to deal with is that
sudo service lightdm start doesn't work after installation. A warning appears, saying "no screen found". Unless I delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf I cannot start the X server. so I couldn't install Bumblebee.
Then I tried this: after deleting the xorg.conf file to start with x server I copied xorg.conf.backup file to xorg.conf. I again tried to install Bumblebee and I get it but when I rebooted the laptop, the X server problem appeared again. I think main problem is to restart lightdm.